As I am a developper, I like to program myself web apps (in PHP, J2EE, or JBoss Seam), but sometime, we don’t have the time to build it by hand, even with Ruby On Rail (RoR).
There are solution to automatically build a web app from a database schema, and without code generation :
Oracle Application Express
The most famous is Oracle Application Express. APEX is a rapid web application development tool for the Oracle database. Using only a web browser and limited programming experience, you can develop and deploy web applications.
– Free (no cost) with Oracle XE (but RAM limited to 1Gb, disque space to 4Go, and one CPU)
– Only for Oracle DB
– can’t be hosted on a classic LAMP server
Xataface is an open source PHP framework for building PHP/MySQL applications in less time that with fewer lines of code that do more.
– Very quick and easy (perhaps not as APEX), no programming knowledges
– Free and open source (GPL)
– Works with most of hosted server (PHP, MySQL)
– Looks a little beta for now (october 2009)
– less features than APEX..
I have some experience with APEX, and I will test Xataface in details soon. Do you know others solutions like that ? What’s your experiences with it ?